Disability Help Logo Disability Help Header
Disability Help Images
Disability Help Image
  Disability Help Scotland - Direct Payments   Latest Info  

What can direct payments be used for?

Direct payments can be used to pay for community care services, housing support services or child services that you have been told you require after you have had your assessment.
You have to discuss and agree with your Social Worker/Care Manager what your direct payments can be used for (before or during your assessment)
Most people use direct payments to employ their own personal assistant  to provide support in their own home, This gives them more flexibility and independence than was possible with services arranged through the local authority.
Services could include:

  • Someone coming in to help you wash and dress
  • Someone helping you prepare, cook, eat meals
  • Someone helping you with general household duties such as washing, ironing, cleaning etc

Attending a day centre or other social commitment





bottom border image